Saturday 7 April 2012

Workington pier

Couple of mornings at Soddy Gap has produced nothing new except flocks of 14 and 24 Fieldfare over and a Bullfinch.
So after today's trip to Soddy i decided to do a couple hours at Workington whilst Rach was shopping.
I started off with a Sea watch. A few Common Scoter past then a Dark Phase Arctic Skua, to top it off a nice 1st Summer Med Gull flew North. I then pointed my scope towards the far rocks and could see a Wheatear then 2. At the same time a bird with a striking red tail flew South over the rocks towards the cliff. I new this had to be a Black Redstart, great area for them last year and Keith had 1 a couple weeks back, probably same bird lingering.  I walked down to the rocks and spotted the Wheatear but not the Black Redstart. Then i spotted it well hidden on the cliffs before if flew South along the cliffs and out of sight. I waited here doing a bit more of a sea watch notching up 2 Sandwich Tern, my 3rd year tick of the day, the other two being the Redstart and the Skua. There were a few Auks, Divers, Gannets and Kittiwakes out to sea oh and a few more smaller groups of Common Scoter. No more sign of the Black Red. Still not a bad couple of hours.
A picture I took in August last year

No comments:

Post a Comment