Thursday 9 May 2013

Collared Flycatcher

Well I couldn't resist this mega just 120 mile away in Northumberland . I re-organised my jobs and headed for Low Newton by the sea. Straight away the very rare Collared Flycatcher was showing and what a beauty. Amazing it had travelled all the way from somewhere like Asia and Southeast Europe. I had both dogs with me so didn't get to close to the crowd so just managed these distant records shots.

Collared Flycatcher
 








I moved onto Hauxley for a Great White Egret but it had flown off. Common Tern here was a bonus year tick. So next stop was Druidge bay. Here I picked up 2 cracking male Garganey and eventually after some searching a nice Wood Sandpiper.

Garganey

Wood Sandpiper

I heard the Great White Egret had returned to Hauxley and as I was only around the corner I headed back and saw the bird in flight from one of the screens, time had run out for me so I couldn't really go try to find it from one of the hides, still flight views will do. What a great end to the day.

3 comments:

  1. I would like to extend a few words on fly catcher machine  in India.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My wife saw what she is adamant was a collared flycatcher in our garden in Barrow in Furness, late April 2013, but when she contacted the RSPB they were very dismissive... Maybe the same bird, as this is not really all that far away.

    ReplyDelete