Sunday 18 August 2013

Crossbills

Early start up the local patch. Fairly quiet still, I think due to this Sparrowhawk. Whitethroats, WillowChiffs and a family of Red legged partridge, patch tick. Out to sea an adult malting Black Tern and a couple of Little Gull and 4 Med Gull. A Gannet was nice. 
 





 

Today I was meeting up with Rach in Lincoln for the weekend but seeing as she wouldn't be there till later as she was working I headed first for Sheffield for some Two Barred Crossbill. Bit of a mistake really as it was much further than I thought. But see the birds I did nice Red male, Female and a juvenile probably saw another two juvenile but they were hard to follow as they were always directly into the sun so not the best views. I arrived 5 minutes too late this was when all 6 birds were feeding together and showing well without the sun.. The call was amazingly different, very metallic.
crap pic I know but best I could do.
 
 

After this it was off to the campsite near Lincoln to put the tent up ready for Rach and the dogs.  Unfortunately inconsiderate bastards kept crashing which meant 2 parts of the A66 got closed massive diversions then about midnight Rach had to give up and sleep in her car as the A1 in 2 places then got shut... VERY frustrating poor Rach, 6 am she arrived.

So next day we spent walking the dogs and visiting Lincoln. Very nice....


 

 

So Sunday arrives, far too short a weekend and I end the day back home seawatching as Rob text to say Pom Skua heading my way, as I'm 25 yards from the sea I was out in a flash, I picked up a distant skua flying straight so thought instantly ahh brill the Pom, but when I looked back and looked properly it was then chasing terns a tiny Skua flying like a tern, after another 30 seconds of watching it I was sure it was an Adult Long-tailed Skua, excellent, better than any Pom and a year tick. 

The next hour and a half produced hundreds of Terns, 10 Gannets, 4 Little Gull, 1 Adult Med Gull, and an Arctic Skua. Great end to a nice weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment