Saturday 26 July 2014

Horsey

Well first of all back on the patch Wader movement was going on but that was it. Knot, Curlew, Common Sandpiper and my first for the patch Bar Tailed Godwit.
Back in the garden it was much better a Green Sandpiper was a brilliant surprise as it flew over calling, then a couple days later I was sat watching the news when I heard another wader, a Whimbrel flew over. My garden list keeps growing and growing. Regular stuff include Green Woodpecker, Great Spot Woodpecker, Chiffchaff, Blackcap and Goldcrest.  The Tawny Owl keeps calling as does the Muntjack.
The feeders are building up so I hope to get plenty visiting come the winter.

On to today Rach n I headed for Horsey Mill, a great little walk not too far to the old mill but always full of birds. We only just got around the corner when I spotted 2 Cranes in flight, great start. Then a lovely family party of Kingfishers 5 birds flitting in and out the wood, yes the wood. Loads of dragonflies mainly Brown Hawker and Black tailed Skimmer.
What made the day though was Rachel spotting 2 Swallowtail Butterflies, the first ones we had seen in the UK this year. Saw loads in Spain though so we never went out our way to find any.
Did a few other non birding related stuff but then Rach dropped me off at Breydon water whilst she went shopping.
Amazing number of Terns are now roosting here probably 8-900 Mainly Common Terns with smaller number of Sandwich Tern. The Sun was strong so making out anything else other than an Adult Med Gull was impossible.
That's it today.



No comments:

Post a Comment